initial situation and objectives
In recent years, the importance of visitor orientation has been emphasized more and more. Museums increasingly claim to take into account the interests, needs, competences and attitudes of visitors, especially with regard to their own exhibitions and the communication of certain contents. However, they are confronted with a very diverse audience. In order to be able to work in a visitor-oriented way, it is important for museums to know as much as possible about their own visitors. This is where the project starts. The aim is to record and examine in depth the skills, competences and prerequisites that museum visitors bring with them. Two studies will be carried out for this purpose.
visitor structure analysis
In a first study, a visitor structure analysis will be carried out. For this purpose, visitors to all participating museums will be interviewed over three survey periods with regard to various personal characteristics such as socio-demographic data, migration background and educational-psychological constructs. The aim is to obtain a comprehensive and in-depth picture of visitors to various museums in Germany. In addition, visitors can be characterized according to different museum types.
study 2: delphi study on the investigation of museum literacy
The aim of the second study is to examine the competencies and prerequisites of museum visitors from the perspective of museum professionals. A Delphi study will be conceived for this purpose. This means that in an iterative, anonymous survey process, experiences and opinions of different museum experts will be collected, summarised and evaluated in a first round. In a second and third round, the museum experts evaluate, classify and, if necessary, supplement the results obtained.
- Dr. Lorenz Kampschulte, Deutsches Museum
- Prof. Dr. Olaf Köller, IPN Erziehungswissenschaft
- Dr. Gun-Brit Thoma, IPN Erziehungswissenschaft
- Prof. Dr. Doris Lewalter, TUM School of Education
- Jenny Meyer, IPN Erziehungswissenschaft
- Anna Lara Paeske, IPN Erziehungswissenschaft
- Deutsches Institut für Erwachsenenbildung – Leibniz-Zentrum für Lebenslanges Lernen (DIE), Bonn
- Leibniz-Institut für Wissensmedien, Tübingen
- TUM School of Education, Technische Universität München
- Deutsches Museum, München
- Deutsches Bergbau Museum, Bochum – Leibniz-Forschungsmuseum für Georessourcen
- Deutsches Schiffahrtsmuseum- Leibniz-Institut für deutsche Schifffahrtsgeschichte (DSM), Bremerhaven
- Römisch-Germanisches Zentralmuseum – Leibniz-Forschungsinstitut für Archäologie (RGZM), Mainz
- Germanisches Nationalmuseum (GNM), Nürnberg
- Museum für Naturkunde – Leibniz-Institut für Evolutions- und Biodiversitätsforschung (MfN), Berlin
- Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN), Frankfurt
- Zoologisches Forschungsmuseum Alexander König – Leibniz-Institut für Biodiversität der Tiere (ZFMK), Bonn