As a network, the KiSOC offers scientists from various disciplines the opportunity to work together with communication practitioners on new formats. In addition, young scientists receive suggestions and support for their science communication and education projects here.
From 2016 to 2020, KiSOC was funded as a Leibniz ScienceCampus by the Leibniz Association, Kiel University (CAU), the Leibniz Institute for Science and Mathematics Education (IPN), and the Ministry of Education, Science and Culture SH.
Following this funding period, we continue to rely on the long-standing close cooperation between Kiel University as an outreach-strong institution of higher education and the IPN, as well as on the expertise of national and international partners.
The Network's Aims
In the KiSOC, we study the design and impact of various outreach activities. The focus of our studies is on:
- the requirements and effects of different communication formats
- the communication of scientific content to different target groups
- the role of those communicating
- the development of a common framework model
Reaching the Aim Together
We build on the long-standing close partnership between Kiel University and the IPN. The four main university’s research areas are involved in KiSOC on different levels:
- CRC 677 Function by Switching
- SFB 1182 Origin and Function of Metaorganisms
- SFB 1261 Biomagnetic Sensing
- CRC 1461 – Neurotronics: Bio‑inspired Information Pathways
- Besucherstrukturanalyse in Museen
- Kiel Science Factory
- Plastic Pirates – Go Europe!
- Precision Medicine in Chronic Inflammation (PMI)